For deployment the AMP file is applied to a target WAR file using the Module Management Tool.
This format allows the module to be more easily shared, for example with a community of developers or for shipping to customers. During development, non-AMP formats are often used to ease the development process.
Advantages of using AMP files
Here are some of the advantages of packaging your extension in an AMP file:
- AMPs provide a namespace feature that helps prevent file name clashes with other extensions.
- The minimum and maximum version of Alfresco required for the extension to operate correctly can be specified in the AMP file.
- Dependencies on other modules can be declared in the AMP file.
- AMP files can contain a module version number.
- Data required by the extension when the module is loaded can be included in the AMP.
- It is possible to run initialization code when the AMP is installed.