- So, what gets synced?
- Can I use Desktop Sync during initial sync?
- Will syncing happen while I am offline?
- Where can I find my synced files?
- How many folder levels can I sync?
- Can I cancel initial sync?
- I made changes to a local file that aren't showing in Alfresco.
- What's the orphaned folder in my local synced drive?
- If a file is checked out by another user in Alfresco, can I update it?
- When will a deferred file be synced?
- I see a red cross on my system tray. What does that mean?
- Do I need to restart Desktop Sync when I restart my machine?
- Can I use Desktop Sync while I am offline?
- What happens to a file/ folder which is moved out of Alfresco folder on my desktop?
- Why can't I see status icons on my files and folders?
- What happens if two Alfresco sites have the same name?
- What happens if the site name is invalid or contains unsupported Windows characters?
- How do I uninstall Desktop Sync?
- Can Desktop Sync be installed in an unattended mode?
- Can I setup Desktop Sync using a central installation process?
- I'm running Windows in a Virtual Machine. Why is the automatic update for the configuration file not working correctly?
- I'm running Windows in a Virtual Machine. Why is the automatic update not installing correctly?
- Upon unselecting files and folders from Choose folders and sites to sync screen not all files are getting removed. What's wrong??
- Where do I find the Desktop Sync log file?
- I no longer need a site. How do I remove the site and its contents from my desktop?
- Will my files be versioned in Alfresco?
- Can I recover a deleted file using Desktop Sync?
- I have changed the site name in Alfresco. Can I continue using Desktop Sync?
- Which file extensions are supported by Desktop Sync?
- If a file has a file extension which is in the exempted list above, how can I include that file in the sync set?
- What files should be backed up/restored on the client ?
- I have a new computer, is it possible to migrate my Alfresco sync folder to the new computer?
Desktop Sync shows you all your Alfresco sites and folders which you have access to, plus your My Files and Shared Files content. You can select any (or all) of these and click Sync to create a local copy of the content on your computer.
Individual files you've favorited aren't displayed and can be synced directly, you need to sync the folder they're in.
Whenever you update any of this local content (which includes adding, moving, and deleting files and folders within the synced area) these changes will automatically be replicated on Alfresco.
Whenever you or anyone else make changes in Alfresco to sites or folders that you've synced with, then these changes will be replicated in your local content.
Can I use Desktop Sync during initial sync?Yes. During initial sync, a content created on your desktop will be synced only after the initial sync is over.
Will syncing happen while I am offline?Sync needs a connection to the server. Syncing will resume when the connection is restored.
Where can I find my synced files?The content is synced at C:\Users\<username>\Alfresco. The Alfresco folder can also be found in the File Explorer under Favourites.
How many folder levels can I sync?You can sync as many folder levels but the maximum length for a path should not be more than 260 characters. This is a limitation of the Windows File System.
For more information see Maximum Path Length Limitation.
Can I cancel initial sync?Yes. As a Desktop Sync user, you can either:
- Take your machine offline: You can simply ignore initial sync and shut down your machine or disconnect the network. Initial sync will resume when connection is restored.
- Keep your machine running but discontinue initial sync: You can quit Desktop Sync and initial sync will resume when restart Desktop Sync.
- Amend your selected content choices by clicking Return to Content Selection.
I made changes to a local file that aren't showing in Alfresco.
A number of scenarios can cause this:
- The file is held/locked open by an application on your computer.
- Network connection problems, Alfresco connection problems, or synchronization service connection problems; contact your IT team.
- If you've made changes locally that are showing in Alfresco, then make sure that Desktop Sync is running by confirming that the icon is showing in the system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac).
- It's also possible that someone was updating the content in Alfresco at the same time as you were updating the local content. The file is in conflict state. See Conflict matrix on how to resolve the conflict.
What's the orphaned folder in my local synced drive?
If you deselect synced content in Desktop Sync and click Sync, then you're effectively breaking the link between local content and Alfresco content.
The content won't be synced any more. Files that were not synced to Alfresco due to conflict or deferred can be found in orphaned folder. This folder is automatically created in your synced area and the previously synced content is moved to there.
If a file is checked out by another user in Alfresco, can I update it?No, you can't update files that are checked out by other users.
When will a deferred file be synced?
- When you don't have free space on your desktop.
- If you have an Office file open and you are saving it to your local.
- You're not connected to the server.
Resolve the issue and your file will be synced automatically.
I see a red cross on my system tray. What does that mean?See Working with Desktop Sync
Do I need to restart Desktop Sync when I restart my machine?No, Desktop Sync is automatically started when your machine starts.
Can I use Desktop Sync while I am offline?You can continue working on your files offline and they'll be synced to Alfresco whenever you have a connection to the server.
What happens to a file/ folder which is moved out of Alfresco folder on my desktop?The moved file or folder is deleted in Alfresco.
Why can't I see status icons on my files and folders?
Windows has a limit of 15 icon overlay handlers, some of which are reserved by the system. The number of different icon overlay handlers is limited by the amount of space available for icon overlays in the system image list. So, uninstalling other applications that use system overlays could make some slots available for Desktop Sync icon overlays.
Additionally, check if you have accidentally quit Desktop Sync. Upon restart, the icons should be restored.
What happens if two Alfresco sites have the same name?If the site name is duplicate, one of the site name will be displayed as SiteName_01, for example, Test Site_01.
What happens if the site name is invalid or contains unsupported Windows characters?A file name can't contain the following characters: \ / : * ? " < >. Desktop Sync replaces these characters with underscores, for example, Test>test will be replaced as Test_test on your desktop.
How do I uninstall Desktop Sync?
- Open Programs and Features by clicking Start.
- Click Control Panel.
- Under Programs, click Uninstall a program.
- Select Desktop Sync, and then click Uninstall.
Can Desktop Sync be installed in an unattended mode?Yes.
Can I setup Desktop Sync using a central installation process?Yes, Desktop Sync installer contains an MSI, which can be used with any central installation tool, such as Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager.
I'm running Windows in a Virtual Machine. Why is the automatic update for the configuration file not working correctly?
This is due to folder paths in some virtual machines being non-standard Windows paths.
I'm running Windows in a Virtual Machine. Why is the automatic update not installing correctly?
The download folder path in some virtual machines is a non-standard Window path, and the installer isn't able to start.
Upon unselecting, not all files are getting removed. What's wrong?When a file of folder is locked by Windows File Explorer, applications, like Desktop Sync, can not remove that file and folder. In that case, when unsubscribing content or removing the application, some files and folders maybe left behind. They should be removed manually.
Where do I find the Desktop Sync log file?
If you're having any issues with Desktop Sync then your Alfresco Administrator might ask you to provide the log file.
- Windows - C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\AlfrescoSync.log
- Download and install DebugView.
DebugView will immediately start capturing debug output.
- On the top menu bar, click Edit
and then Filter/Highlight....
The DebugView Filter window appears.
- To filter and display only the output from the shell extension, specify AlfrescoSyncExtension in Include and click OK.
I no longer need a site. How do I remove the site and its contents from my desktop?Go to Manage Folders... and deselect the sites you no longer need. Click Sync to remove the selected files and folders from your desktop.
Can I use Desktop Sync while I am offline?You can continue working on your files offline but they will get synced to Alfresco whenever you have a connection to the server.
Will syncing happen while I am offline?Sync needs a connection to the server. Syncing will resume when your connection is restored.
Will my files be versioned in Alfresco?Yes. All file updates in Alfresco using Desktop Sync are versioned.
Can I recover a deleted file using Desktop Sync?Yes. Any file deleted in Alfresco using Desktop Sync is moved to the Alfresco trash can.
I have changed the site name in Alfresco. Can I continue using Desktop Sync?Yes, you can continue working with Desktop Sync but the site name won't be updated in the File Explorer.
Which file extensions are supported by Desktop Sync?Desktop Sync syncs all file extensions except for the temporary file extensions mentioned in the table below:
If a file has a file extension which is in the exempted list above, can I include that file in the sync set?Yes. In the <userHome>\AppData\Local\Alfresco\AlfrescoSync.conf file, in the Sync constraints section, update the syncmanager.constraint.1=FileExt|.tmp,.temp property
What files should be backed up/restored on the client ?You can find the synced data in the C:\Users\<username>\Alfresco folder. The sync client settings/database/logs can be found in the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Alfresco folder.
When the sync client starts up, it uses the modification time stamp from the AlfrescoSync.time file in the AppData\Local\Alfresco folder to check if any files/folders were changed while Desktop Sync was not running. If you delete and recreate the AlfrescoSync.time file after restoring the Desktop Sync data and settings, it would do a full scan of the local and remote folders.
I have a new computer, is it possible to migrate my Alfresco sync folder to the new computer?To avoid problems with conflicts on device registration, and content going out of sync during the migration process, you should first remove your account from the deprecated computer, and then setup Alfresco Desktop Sync on the new machine.