- The standalone Document Transformation Engine runs on Windows and takes care of the file transformations.
- The Alfresco Transformation client runs as part of Alfresco Content Services and communicates between Alfresco Content Services and the standalone Document Transformation Engine.
Disc I/O bandwidth
Microsoft Office transformations are I/O-heavy, and so on some solutions, I/O contention can be a performance bottleneck. When multiple Word conversions occur in parallel, performance can suffer heavily from poor random read and write speeds.
Using an Amazon EC2 instance c3.2xlarge, the I/O metrics are as follows:
- seq. read speed: 131 MB/s
- seq. write speed: 83 MB/s
- random qd32 read speed: 10,4 MB/s
- random qd32 write speed: 3,8 MB/s