This section provides help for troubleshooting the OpenOffice subsystems.
Enable the following log4j properties to debug:
log4j.logger.org.alfresco.enterprise.repo.content=DEBUG log4j.logger.org.artofsolving.jodconverter=DEBUGNote: The OOoDirect debug entry is: log4j.logger.org.alfresco.repo.content.transform=DEBUG.
- If Tomcat is not shutdown gracefully, the soffice.bin process may not be stopped. This can result in errors when starting Tomcat with port 8080 being is use. If this occurs, manually kill the soffice.bin process.
You may see a failure to connect error message, for
INFO: ProcessManager implementation is WindowsProcessManager org.artofsolving.jodconverter.office.OfficeProcess start INFO: starting process with acceptString 'socket,host=127.0.0.1,port=8101,tcpNoDelay=1' and profileDir 'C:\Alfresco\tomcat\temp\.jodconverter_socket_host-127.0.0.1_port-8101' org.artofsolving.jodconverter.office.OfficeProcess start INFO: started process ERROR [repo.content.JodConverterSharedInstance] Unable to start JodConverter library. The following error is shown for informational purposes only. org.artofsolving.jodconverter.office.OfficeException: failed to start and connectIf the OpenOffice process takes more than 30s to fully start up, then Alfresco fails to connect to it. If this occurs, manually kill the soffice.bin process before attempting to restart the Jodconverter subsystem.Note: The next time that you start OpenOffice, it usually starts fast enough to connect (this is due to operating system caching).
If the OpenOffice home location is incorrect, the Jodconverter
subsystem will still start, but no OpenOffice process will be running
or connected. The error may be reported in the console but not in the
The correct value for the jodconverter.officeHome property varies with host operating system.
- For Mac OS X, it should be set to the directory that contains MacOS/soffice.bin, which is /Applications/OpenOffice.org.app/Contents by default.
- For other operating systems, it should be set to the directory that contains program/soffice.bin. For example, for Debian/Ubuntu, this may be /usr/lib/openoffice, for Fedora, /opt/openoffice.org3, and for Microsoft Windows, C:/Alfresco/OpenOffice.org.
- When restarting the Jodconverter subsystem using JMX, you need to set the enabled property to true (this will also stop the JOD subsystem if it is running); then use the start operation to start the Jodconverter subsystem with the new property settings.
- The JodConverter can run a pool of multiple reusable instances of the soffice OpenOffice process. To use this capability, set the jodconverter.portNumbers property to a comma-separated list of port numbers, all of which must be available for use. For example, 2022, 2023, 2024 for a pool of three soffice processes.
- The JodConverter supports configurable restart behavior for the OpenOffice soffice process. To ensure that potential memory leaks within OpenOffice do not accumulate and affect performance, the JodConverter will restart an soffice process after a given number of tasks (transformations, metadata extractions) have been performed. The default for jodConverter.maxTasksPerProcess is 200.
- The JodConverter allows long-running or hung tasks to be timed out. The first timeout is controlled by jodconverter.taskQueueTimeout, which is 30000 by default (30000 milliseconds = 30 seconds). If a task spends this long in a JodConverter queue awaiting execution, it will be dropped from the queue. The second timeout is controlled by jodconverter.taskExecutionTimeout, which is 120000 by default (120000 milliseconds = 2 minutes). If a task has been executing within an soffice process for longer than this period, that soffice process will be terminated and restarted.
- Throughput of OOo-related tasks, such as transformations, can be balanced against available hardware resources (memory, CPU) by altering the pool size and the two timeout timers.