- Authenticating using a user name and password
- Authenticating using a ticket
- Creating, updating and deleting authentication information
- Clearing the current authentication
- Invalidating a ticket
- Getting the user name for currently authenticated users
- Getting a ticket for subsequent re-authentication
The authenticated user name is used as the key to obtain other security information, such as group membership, the details about the person or to record a user as the owner of an object. It is one of the identifiers against which permissions can be assigned.
The authentication service does not provide any details about a user other than authentication. It stores authentication information on the calling thread. Application developers should ensure that this information is cleared.
- authentication component, which supports authentication;
- authentication DAO, which provides an API to create, delete and update authentication information; and
- ticket component, which manages and stores tickets that can be obtained after authentication and used in place of authentication.