- Alfresco Java Foundation API - a set of public Java interfaces exposed by services built into the Alfresco content application server
- JCR - a standard (JSR-170) set of Java interfaces for interacting with the content repository
- FreeMarker API - an object-oriented view of the Java Foundation API specifically tailored for use in FreeMarker templates
- Content Definition - an API for creating and editing content models
- Workflow Definition - an API for defining business processes
- Exposing new extension services deployed into the Alfresco content application server to remote clients
- Providing alternate batching or transaction demarcation of existing services
- Creating a facade for integration with a third-party tool, such as a Forms engine
There is another use case for the Embedded API. An application or client can also directly embed the Alfresco content application server to inherit its suite of content services.
The infrastructure of the server means it can be deployed into a number of environments, not just as a web application. Essentially, the Alfresco content application server is treated as a library, where any of its services, including the content repository, can be chosen independently or mixed to provide a custom solution. The server can scale down as well as up.